The Technical Animator position helps establish a connection between the animation team and the more technical aspects of a VFX pipeline. You will be working on enabling new workflows, help design new pipeline based tools and help troubleshoot issues for the Animation Department. This role is expected to handle production support and also Maya based development tasks in a fast-paced, feature film visual effects production environment. The primary focus is ensuring the pipeline and artist tools are enabling Animators to focus on the artistry. While reporting to the Head of Animation, this role will collaborate with Department TDs, Animation Supervisors and Leads to ensure animators are able to delivery projects in a timely manner.
- Provide front-line production support to Animators, troubleshoot assets and shots and help artists with general problem-solving via the prevalent ticketing system.
- Further the Animation tool set by integrating new commercial and/or inhouse artist software tools to meet immediate, show-directed production demands and ensuring facility-wide consistency.
- Work on debugging, troubleshooting and extending cross department pipeline tools like asset loaders, publishers, QC rendering.
- Maintain and evolve the SpinVFX Animation pipeline tool set composed of Python, PySide/PyQT UIs, Maya’s C++ and scripted plugins.
- Collaborate with fellow Department TDs to understand and contribute to smooth functioning of Animation tools with upstream and downstream data workflows.
- Test and validate tools and techniques with Animation stakeholders and release new and modified software systems as per the department standards.
- Document necessary updates to Animation tools and workflows in tickets and artist facing documentation.
- Strong understanding of animation principles and the animation workflows.
- Basic knowledge of rigging workflows and techniques.
- 3+ years experience as a Pipeline Developer with Autodesk Maya software.
- Good experience with Python, PySide/PyQt, GIT.
- Experience with Maya APIs.
- Demonstrated experience developing and maintaining tools for use in a VFX pipeline.
- Good grasp of Animation/VFX pipeline workflows especially of the Model, Rigging, Animation, Layout departments.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to build strong relationships with technical leadership, developers and non-technical stakeholders.
- Detail oriented, self reliant, self motivated and be able to use constructive feedback to improve one’s coding and design skills.
- Experience with ABC, USD,, is highly regarded
- Xsens Motion Capture Experience
- Motion Builder Experience
If this sounds like you, please submit your cover letter and resume. Be sure to include “Technical Animator” in the subject line.
SPIN’s roots trace back to creative and technological innovations that are now standard in visual effects facilities around the globe.
SPIN Founder and CEO Nigel McGrath co-founded Alias Research in 1984, creator of Maya, later acquired by Autodesk; and in 1987 Side Effects Productions the production arm that supported the initial R&D of software giant, Side Effects Software, the creators of Houdini.
President and Partner, Neishaw Ali, a Queens MBA graduate has over 25 years in the film and television industry and over 70 features and 13 television series under her belt. In 1992, Neishaw was instrumental in rebranding Side Effects Productions as SPIN, successfully blending the science of business and creativity.
SPIN VFX has evolved into an internationally recognized Visual Effects studio, working with respected Directors, VFX Supervisors and Producers. With television credits that include the Emmy award-winning series Game of Thrones (HBO), Neil Jordan’s thrice Emmy nominated The Borgias (Showtime), and film credits such as Bill Condon’s The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part One & Two (Summit/Lionsgate), M. Night Shyamalan’s After Earth (Columbia Pictures), Mans Marlind’s Underworld: Awakening (Screen Gems), and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (20th Century Fox) from Timur Bekmambetov.
The studio is currently in production on Ericson Core's Point Break (Alcon Entertainment) action adventure remake for Warner Bros., the next young adult science fiction novel adaptation to hit the big screen The 5th Wave (Columbia Pictures), as well as the the highly anticipated sci-fi television series The Expanse (SyFy) and Tim Kring’s Heroes Reborn (NBC). Recently, the team delivered work on the third season of the Emmy nominated renaissance masterpiece Da Vinci’s Demons (Starz) and Tom McCarthy’s expose that is garnering Oscar buzz, Spotlight (Open Road Films).
SPIN VFX delivers on vision.
see us at SPINVFX.COM
SPIN is located in Toronto with sales and support in Los Angeles.
For over 27 years SPIN has been offering a range of creative services in the areas of:
On-Set and in Studio
On-Set Production Services
Location Capture &
3D Body Scanning
Concept & Visualization
Pitch, Pre, Post
Creature and Character
Massive /Crowd Duplication
Matte Painting / Environments
2D and 3D
This is a 3rd party job — you can send your CV via Zerply or apply directly here.