CFX Artist (Groom)
As a CFX Artist you will be responsible for developing groom and simulation setups for photo-realistic creatures; including clothing, fur, hair, feathers, muscle and skin. In this position, you will work closely with CG Supervisors, VFX Supervisors, and the Creature Supervisor to determine the best creative approaches and techniques for your task. Each key responsibility will rely upon successful collaboration with your Department Manager, Lead, and cross departmental communication. Additionally, you will work closely with Creature Artists, Rigging Artists, and Lookdev Artists to efficiently handoff assets through the pipeline and maintain the highest creative quality possible. As a CFX artist, you will participate in developing tools and efficiencies for cloth simulation, muscle systems via Houdini, hair grooms in houdini, and hair simulation. While being a member of the CFX Team, you will be expected to deliver work within established project targets at the quality standards of Spin VFX, offer honest and responsible ETA’s, and maintain a collaborative attitude.
Your standard tasks will include:
- Grooming hair, fur, feathers, and organic elements using Houdini.
- Painting maps, modeling hair curves, modifying shaders, and optimizing grooms to improve render efficiency.
- Running fur simulations in Houdini.
- Setting up and running cloth simulations in Houdini.
- Setting up and running muscle and skin simulations in Houdini.
- Attending daily progress reviews to obtain feedback from supervisors.
- Delivering work on time, according to agreed schedules and specifications.
- Defining, documenting, and communicating best practices and techniques for fur/hair/cloth/muscle development.
- Participate in the department morale and culture.
- Offer and participate in department initiatives with creative supervisors, and the pipeline team to ensure initiatives are met.
- Experience using Hairgen and Vellum in Houdini.
- Communicating strongly and clearly enabling you to liaise between team members and other departments.
- Operate using KatanaMari, Renderman, and/or Arnold (experience is a benefit but not a requirement).
- Operate using Houdini muscles or other muscle systems (experience is a benefit but not a requirement).
- Ability to troubleshoot and solve problems independently.
- Having a traditional arts background with emphasis on photo-realistic character work is a benefit.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience
- Excellent knowledge of Houdini
- Solid understanding of Production pipelines
- Ability to troubleshoot and solve problems independently
- Good communication skills to be able to liaise between team members and other departments
- Previous experience on CG characters/creature projects
- Experience in the following dynamic simulation: cloth, hair/fur, feathers, skin and muscle
If this sounds like you, please submit your cover letter, resume and demo reel. Be sure to include “CFX” in the subject line.
SPIN’s roots trace back to creative and technological innovations that are now standard in visual effects facilities around the globe.
SPIN Founder and CEO Nigel McGrath co-founded Alias Research in 1984, creator of Maya, later acquired by Autodesk; and in 1987 Side Effects Productions the production arm that supported the initial R&D of software giant, Side Effects Software, the creators of Houdini.
President and Partner, Neishaw Ali, a Queens MBA graduate has over 25 years in the film and television industry and over 70 features and 13 television series under her belt. In 1992, Neishaw was instrumental in rebranding Side Effects Productions as SPIN, successfully blending the science of business and creativity.
SPIN VFX has evolved into an internationally recognized Visual Effects studio, working with respected Directors, VFX Supervisors and Producers. With television credits that include the Emmy award-winning series Game of Thrones (HBO), Neil Jordan’s thrice Emmy nominated The Borgias (Showtime), and film credits such as Bill Condon’s The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part One & Two (Summit/Lionsgate), M. Night Shyamalan’s After Earth (Columbia Pictures), Mans Marlind’s Underworld: Awakening (Screen Gems), and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (20th Century Fox) from Timur Bekmambetov.
The studio is currently in production on Ericson Core's Point Break (Alcon Entertainment) action adventure remake for Warner Bros., the next young adult science fiction novel adaptation to hit the big screen The 5th Wave (Columbia Pictures), as well as the the highly anticipated sci-fi television series The Expanse (SyFy) and Tim Kring’s Heroes Reborn (NBC). Recently, the team delivered work on the third season of the Emmy nominated renaissance masterpiece Da Vinci’s Demons (Starz) and Tom McCarthy’s expose that is garnering Oscar buzz, Spotlight (Open Road Films).
SPIN VFX delivers on vision.
see us at SPINVFX.COM
SPIN is located in Toronto with sales and support in Los Angeles.
For over 27 years SPIN has been offering a range of creative services in the areas of:
On-Set and in Studio
On-Set Production Services
Location Capture &
3D Body Scanning
Concept & Visualization
Pitch, Pre, Post
Creature and Character
Massive /Crowd Duplication
Matte Painting / Environments
2D and 3D
This is a 3rd party job — you can send your CV via Zerply or apply directly here.