Sr. Software Developer: Game Engines (Unity)
For over thirty years, SideFX has been providing artists with procedural 3D animation and visual effects tools designed to produce the highest-quality cinematic results. We are passionate about what our customers do because our roots are in production, both as artists and as pioneering technical innovators.
SideFX has been recognized by the Academy of Motion Pictures, Arts and Science multiple times - including with an Oscar® - for the development of our Houdini software, and its breakthrough procedural-based technology.
Houdini is used by the world’s top film, TV, and game studios to create blockbuster movies such as Black Panther and Moana, captivating TV shows like Spider-Man, The Lion King and Godzilla vs. Kong, TV shows like The Crown, Game of Thrones and S.W.A.T., and video games like Ghost Recon, Far Cry and Age of Empires. Our customers include Disney Feature Animation, Pixar, Sony Pictures, Imageworks, Weta Digital, Electronic Arts, Microsoft Game Studios, and many more.
What We Value Most:
- Decency: We treat everyone with honesty, kindness and empathy. We give generously of our time and knowledge
- Relationships: We build collaborative bonds—with our co-workers and clients—based on trust and respect. Our diverse team gives us broader perspectives
- Dedication: We take pride and ownership in our work, always trying to do our best. We are devoted to the well-being and success of each other and our clients
- Excellence: We continually improve ourselves, our work and our company, striving towards excellence in all that we do
Our employees receive:
- Hybrid Work option - A great office in Downtown Toronto (right across from Union Station) with the flexibility for most roles to work from home. You can help us test out our Hybrid Pilot Project
- Generous paid time off, including vacation and floater days to relax and re-energize (starting at 4 weeks)
- Year-End Company Shutdown and Long Weekend Early departures to add to the excitement
- Health insurance coverage (including a Health Service Spending Account for Canadian employees), for you and your dependents
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP); because sometimes we need a bit of extra support
- Retirement Plan with company matched contributions
- Comprehensive Long Service Award program, providing both a monetary reward and additional days off
- A highly competitive bonus structure
- A generous sick time entitlement to care for yourself and your loved ones
Why join SideFX?
- Because you want to be part of a unique experience and winning team that has won an Oscar and an Emmy (Cool, right?)
- Because you want to be part of an industry-leading company that is constantly mindfully growing
- Because you want to work with some of the most talented people in the industry on a ground-breaking product
- Because you want to work with people from all around the world
- Because you want to be part of an exciting and fun industry
- Because you want to join and add to a positive, supportive and respected company culture
- Because you want your job to be GREAT!
SideFX is seeking an intermediate to senior software developer with experience in real-time game engines. This role involves working with a team well versed in development of real-time game engines, plugins and tools that integrate with 3rd party engines such as Unreal and Unity.
As a member of the SideFX Research and Development group, you will be working with some of the brightest minds in the CG industry. Our R&D team has received many prestigious industry awards, including four Technical Achievement Awards from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, an Academy Award of Merit (Oscar®), a Technology and Engineering Emmy® Award from NATAS, and four back-to-back Editor's Choice Innovation Awards from CG World Magazine. Movies using our toolset have received the Oscar® for Best Visual Effects every year in the past two decades. We share a passion for innovation in computer graphics and a drive for excellence in animation, visual effects and games. Providing digital artists with the best and most advanced tools for their craft is, and has always been, our singular focus.
Please note that a valid proof of a completed COVID-19 vaccination series is an employment requirement.
What you will be working on
- Develop, maintain, and provide support for the Houdini Engine API (HAPI) used by studios and users across both the games and film industry
- Develop and maintain the Houdini Engine for Unity plugin
- Help with the development of the other Houdini Engine plugins including Unreal
- Keep up to date with the latest industry breakthroughs in real-time game engines
- Collaborate with other R&D staff, technical directors and artists to produce best-in-class frameworks and next-generation workflows
- Other duties as assigned
What you need to be successful
- Computer Science degree or equivalent industry experience, with a record of academic and professional excellence
- Strong, modern C++ programming skills and knowledge
- Experience developing within a large existing codebase, collaborating with a large team
- Ability to work independently and within a large team
- Strong communication skills with the ability to clearly convey complex technical information
- Passion for graphics and for interacting with end-user clients and artistic staff
- Experience with real-time game engines such as Unreal or Unity
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Experience with cross-platform development
- Working Python knowledge
- Familiarity with Houdini or related software
Our transit-friendly head office location, directly adjacent to Union Station in the heart of downtown Toronto, is open-concept with a relaxed style that includes, casual dress, and wraparound views from the 14th floor. Locations other than Toronto will be considered within our company’s possibilities.
Visit https://www.sidefx.com/careers/ for a full list of our current job openings.
SideFX is committed to inclusion and diversity. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply. Accommodation will be provided to candidates with disabilities, upon request.