SPIN VFX is seeking a Crowd Artist to join our award winning creative team. The Crowd Artist is responsible for creating the motion of crowds in high-end visual effects films and television, including simulation for planning, and previs purposes.
- Create digital crowd behaviours and simulations to achieve the look, movement, and style envisioned by the Director & Production
- Collaborate and communicate with VFX/CG Supervisors and Producers in order to implement efficient and effective ways to integrate crowd pipeline tools and techniques and problem solve issues in feature film development
- Establish on-going communication with artist, leads, production and supervisors regarding schedules, deadlines, and shot/sequence feedback; attend all relevant meetings on shots, sequences and production
- Able to troubleshoot and find solutions to technical challenges and execute them effectively
- Propose creative approaches and solutions for any specific shots
- 3-4 years of crowd/motion experience in live-action feature film or TV
- Houdini and/or Atoms, Maya, and Python (required)
- Rigging, animation, and lookdev experience are a plus
- Experience with Houdini Crowds, Atoms or other crowd software packages is a plus
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Team player who excels within a collaborative environment
Beneficial to Have
- Experience with Mocap Retargeting in Maya, MotionBuilder, Houdini is a plus
If this sounds like you, please submit your cover letter, resume and demo reel. Be sure to include “Crowd Artist” in the subject line.
SPIN’s roots trace back to creative and technological innovations that are now standard in visual effects facilities around the globe.
SPIN Founder and CEO Nigel McGrath co-founded Alias Research in 1984, creator of Maya, later acquired by Autodesk; and in 1987 Side Effects Productions the production arm that supported the initial R&D of software giant, Side Effects Software, the creators of Houdini.
President and Partner, Neishaw Ali, a Queens MBA graduate has over 25 years in the film and television industry and over 70 features and 13 television series under her belt. In 1992, Neishaw was instrumental in rebranding Side Effects Productions as SPIN, successfully blending the science of business and creativity.
SPIN VFX has evolved into an internationally recognized Visual Effects studio, working with respected Directors, VFX Supervisors and Producers. With television credits that include the Emmy award-winning series Game of Thrones (HBO), Neil Jordan’s thrice Emmy nominated The Borgias (Showtime), and film credits such as Bill Condon’s The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part One & Two (Summit/Lionsgate), M. Night Shyamalan’s After Earth (Columbia Pictures), Mans Marlind’s Underworld: Awakening (Screen Gems), and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (20th Century Fox) from Timur Bekmambetov.
The studio is currently in production on Ericson Core's Point Break (Alcon Entertainment) action adventure remake for Warner Bros., the next young adult science fiction novel adaptation to hit the big screen The 5th Wave (Columbia Pictures), as well as the the highly anticipated sci-fi television series The Expanse (SyFy) and Tim Kring’s Heroes Reborn (NBC). Recently, the team delivered work on the third season of the Emmy nominated renaissance masterpiece Da Vinci’s Demons (Starz) and Tom McCarthy’s expose that is garnering Oscar buzz, Spotlight (Open Road Films).
SPIN VFX delivers on vision.
see us at SPINVFX.COM
SPIN is located in Toronto with sales and support in Los Angeles.
For over 27 years SPIN has been offering a range of creative services in the areas of:
On-Set and in Studio
On-Set Production Services
Location Capture &
3D Body Scanning
Concept & Visualization
Pitch, Pre, Post
Creature and Character
Massive /Crowd Duplication
Matte Painting / Environments
2D and 3D
This is a 3rd party job — you can send your CV via Zerply or apply directly here.