VFX Production Manager
Refuge Visual Effects
Refuge – VFX Production Manager Job Description
In the land of craft beer, craft coffee, and craft doughnuts, we craft the visual effects of film and television, using tools of science to create art. Refuge is a CG-focused visual effects studio in Portland, OR; a self-styled “Monster Shop,” specializing in the creation of creatures, FX, and the world building that bring shows to life for clients like Netflix, Amazon, Apple TV, Disney, HBO, Marvel, and more.
To help get us there, Refuge is currently seeking an organizationally minded and cool-under-pressure VFX Production Manager that keeps all the trains running on time.
This is a full-time salaried position based in Portland, OR (not remote). Relocation assistance may be provided in the continental US, for the right candidate.
As the VFX Production Manager, you are helping to manage the crew, schedules, and the day-to-day running of our projects in a fast paced, multi-show environment. Your responsibilities include:
- Work with the VFX Producer and VFX Supervisor to manage the production team each day including directing Coordinators and Production Assistants to ensure all show needs are met.
- Perform frequent check-ins with artists and ensure resolution of any issues that arise by communicating with Producers, Supervisors and Refuge management.
- Organize team dailies and individual artist reviews, meetings, and tasks.
- Oversee client deliveries and making sure these objectives are clear to Artists and Coordinators; implement day-of delivery deadlines to minimize overtime.
- Overall, keeping the team to the planned schedule and milestones and communicating any changes to both the Refuge team and to the client.
- Arrange client reviews and communicating an agenda in advance.
- Communicate with clients regarding schedules, milestones.
- Maintain weekly client status reports.
- Manage external vendors for outsourcing purposes. This includes budgeting, bidding, and helping to troubleshoot technical and/or creative issues that arise.
SCHEDULING AND RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
- Work with VFX Producer to determine milestones, schedules, and scope of work. Flagging changes as they impact the agreed upon scope of work.
- Consult with VFX Producer to ensure proper teams are allocated to shows.
- Track actual days vs. bid days and flagging any concerns.
- Meet weekly with Refuge management to review artist bookings (internal / freelance artists and outsource) and flag when additional resources are required.
- Ensure that artists understand their assigned tasks and support them to meet their deadlines.
- Anticipate when the project workload may be falling out of balance and elevate issues when necessary to redistribute resources to correct for this.
- Pre-approve artist overtime with Refuge management.
- Work with Refuge Management and project leads to coordinate coverage for artist or production team vacation and leave requests.
- Work with Head of Production to set up onboarding and training of new artists.
- Work with Head of Production, HR, and IT to manage in-office workstation setup and layout.
- Help sustain a fun, collaborative, and supportive company culture. This business requires far too much dedication if we’re not having a good time doing it!
- “Don’t be an Asshole.” Although you are helping to drive the schedule, the right candidate will do this while maintaining a positive attitude, a professional demeanor, and a high level of diplomacy.
- Five (5) years of production experience including two to three (2-3) years of experience in a production management role.
- Strong scheduling experience required.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills (verbal and written).
- An ability to juggle multiple tasks in a face-paced environment.
- An overall understanding of the post-production process preferred.
- An understanding of visual effects workflows (eg. asset development, layout, matte painting, animation, FX, lighting, compositing) a plus.
- Knowledge of Shotgrid (Shotgun) or similar project management tools is helpful.
- A strong knowledge of MS Office suite (Word, Excel).
- Familiarity with database management a plus.
- Ability to work flexible hours as required by project deadlines.
- A belief that deadlines and pressure are challenges to be met, not avoided.
Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.
Please email email@example.com
Deadline for application is July 31, 2022.