Unreal Crowd & Animation Technical Director
Synthesis AI enables the world’s most advanced AI companies to build more powerful and ethical computer vision. The company’s synthetic data and simulation platform was recently recognized as a Top 10 Breakthrough Technology by MIT Tech Review and ranked #4 on Fast Company’s Global List of Most Innovative Small Companies. Synthesis AI is an ambitious team of technologists, researchers, creatives, and product designers driving a paradigm change in AI.
Through a proprietary combination of generative neural networks and cinematic CGI pipelines, Synthesis’ on-demand platform creates vast amounts of perfectly-labeled image data to train AI models at orders of magnitude increased speed and reduced cost.
Current customers include Fortune 10 companies, top smartphone manufacturers, global technology enterprises, and leading AR/VR/metaverse companies.
Learn more about Synthesis AI here.
About the Job
Synthesis AI is looking for a Mid to Senior Technical Artist to join the Technical Art team for Unreal-based initiatives around creating complex and dynamic worlds populated with a wide variety of AI-driven characters. As an Unreal Crowd Animation TD, you'll be integrally involved in building and maintaining real-time character solutions and toolsets in Unreal.
Applicants must have clear communication skills and thrive in a fully remote team environment.
The impact you will have:
- Identify opportunities for building scalable, automated character ingest pipelines within Unreal
- Author high-fidelity character materials for use in automated material pipelines
- Develop highly dynamic crowd-compatible character workflows, and generalized controllers for character rigs
- Work closely with engineering and art departments on cross-team projects
What we look for:
- Minimum 3 years of Unreal Engine experience in a similar role
- Experience with AI crowd systems in Unreal - State Machine & Behavior Trees, Navigation/Pathfinding
- Experience with character animation in Unreal - Building animation libraries and controllers/blueprints to utilize them. Developing automated character ingest/rigging approaches
- Knowledge of PBR materials, including photorealistic skin and eye shaders
- Knowledge and experience with optimizing animated character assets for performance in Unreal
- Experience or understanding of typical game development and CG production pipelines
Nice to Haves:
- Ability to light and render in Unreal Engine (particularly with dynamic lighting) is a plus
- Experience with UE5 & Lumen is a plus
- Experience with Houdini is a plus