Senior Technical Artist - Games Technology
For over thirty years, SideFX has been providing artists with procedural 3D animation and visual effects tools designed to produce the highest-quality cinematic results. We are passionate about what our customers do because our roots are in production, both as artists and as pioneering technical innovators.
SideFX has been recognized by the Academy of Motion Pictures, Arts and Science multiple times - including with an Oscar® - for the development of our Houdini software, and its breakthrough procedural-based technology.
Houdini is used by the world’s top film, TV, and game studios to create blockbuster movies such as Black Panther and Moana, captivating TV shows like Spider-Man, The Lion King and Godzilla vs. Kong, TV shows like The Crown, Game of Thrones and S.W.A.T., and video games like Ghost Recon, Far Cry and Age of Empires. Our customers include Disney Feature Animation, Pixar, Sony Pictures, Imageworks, Weta Digital, Electronic Arts, Microsoft Game Studios, and many more.
What We Value Most:
- Decency: We treat everyone with honesty, kindness and empathy. We give generously of our time and knowledge
- Relationships: We build collaborative bonds—with our co-workers and clients—based on trust and respect. Our diverse team gives us broader perspectives
- Dedication: We take pride and ownership in our work, always trying to do our best. We are devoted to the well-being and success of each other and our clients
- Excellence: We continually improve ourselves, our work and our company, striving towards excellence in all that we do
Our employees receive:
- Hybrid Work option - A great office in Downtown Toronto (right across from Union Station) with the flexibility for most roles to work from home. You can help us test out our Hybrid Pilot Project
- Generous paid time off, including vacation and floater days to relax and re-energize (starting at 4 weeks)
- Year-End Company Shutdown and Long Weekend Early departures to add to the excitement
- Health insurance coverage (including a Health Service Spending Account for Canadian employees), for you and your dependents
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP); because sometimes we need a bit of extra support
- Retirement Plan with company matched contributions
- Comprehensive Long Service Award program, providing both a monetary reward and additional days off
- A highly competitive bonus structure
- A generous sick time entitlement to care for yourself and your loved ones
Why join SideFX?
- Because you want to be part of a unique experience and winning team that has won an Oscar and an Emmy (Cool, right?)
- Because you want to be part of an industry-leading company that is constantly mindfully growing
- Because you want to work with some of the most talented people in the industry on a ground-breaking product
- Because you want to work with people from all around the world
- Because you want to be part of an exciting and fun industry
- Because you want to join and add to a positive, supportive and respected company culture
- Because you want your job to be GREAT!
SideFX is seeking an exceptional, seasoned technical artist with sharp, up-to-date Houdini skills and broad industry knowledge to join its Toronto-based R&D team. In this role you will consult with industry professionals and collaborate with SideFX developers to help shape artist-oriented workflows in Houdini and in games technologies. You will create production-level example content and tools that showcase the benefits of Houdini in game production pipelines, and support studios with Houdini adoption.
As a member of the Research and Development group you will have the opportunity to work alongside some of the brightest minds in the industry and interact with an outstanding artist community. We see this position as a career-defining opportunity in which to grow professionally and contribute to Houdini and its user community. As a uniquely qualified production experience specialist, you will be right at the heart of a constantly evolving synergy between technology and art and we need you to be the best.
Please note that a valid proof of a completed COVID-19 vaccination series is an employment requirement.
What you will be working on
- Consult with clients to understand their goals and help them overcome technical challenges
- Provide production insight into R&D feature development
- Broaden and deepen your knowledge of Houdini while maintaining close contacts with the industry and anticipating trends
- Create production-quality example content and example tools
- Explore and prototype experimental Houdini workflows and tools
- Conduct usability testing to verify feature work in production use cases
- Understand Houdini workflows with partner technologies
- Other duties as assigned
What you need to be successful
- Proven experience as a technical artist or technical director in the games industry or other related industry
- Proficiency with Houdini in game production or virtual production
- Extensive knowledge of game development pipelines and related tools in Unreal or Unity
- Ability to create and produce Houdini Digital Assets (HDAs) for use in game engines
- Outstanding problem-solving skills, particularly for Houdini use cases
- Working knowledge of Python programming
- A record of professional excellence and outstanding innovation
- Ability to learn independently, think fast, and use solid judgement
- Ability to work well independently and in a nimble team environment
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Positive, professional demeanour
- Experience with the Houdini Procedural Dependency Graph (PDG) system
- Working knowledge of at least one of C/C++, C#, GLSL, HLSL, OpenCL
- Working knowledge of the Houdini Object Model (HOM)
- Working knowledge of the Houdini VEX programming language
- User interface design (workflow, look and feel)
- Ability to communicate visually through UI mockups
- Experience with other 3D software packages (i.e. Maya, 3DS Max, Blender, World Machine, Substance 3D, etc.)
This position is available for our Toronto office; Other locations will be considered within our company’s possibilities.
SideFX is committed to inclusion and diversity. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply. Accommodation will be provided to candidates with disabilities, upon request.