A professional communicator, blogger and consultant, experienced in solving communications problems and driving results through strategic use of social media, public relations, community relations, community development and journalism for print, online, and television.
Specific expertise and experience with social marketing / social strategy, CMS deployment / implementation, Intranet development / deployment, corporate communications and branding.
Director, Social Media and Com @ Empire Avenue Inc.
September 2011 - Present
Engage and grow the Empire Avenue member base by executing communication and social media strategies.
• Design and implement membership reward program for community participation.
• Recruit and direct a member-based ‘community leadership’ team to assist with member support.
• Manage small teams of members focused on new product testing and issue feedback.
• Promote and represent Empire Avenue at public social media events, including SocializeTO, Social Media Week, and South by Southwest.
• Successfully produce and execute product re-launch strategy at So
Lifestyle Technology Blogger @ Future Shop
May 2009 - Present
Lifestyle Technology blogger and passionate tech aficionado at Future Shop's TechBlog (http://futureshop.ca/techblog).
Digital Strategist @ Brad Grier Consulting
1990 - Present
Various services depending on client need.
• Develop social media communications plans and policies to support client's organizational needs.
• Mentor and advise client on communications and social media issues and trends.
• Create and position / publish marketing and promotional content including: podcasts, blog posts, micro-blog content, as well as articles supporting 3rd party online and offline publications.
• Advise provincial government department on social media communication tactics.
• Guest lecturer for Guru Digital Arts College regarding busine
Writer - Technology, Communica @ Brad Grier Consulting
January 1988 - Present
Freelance technology journalist for national Canadian newspapers; Globe & Mail, National Post, Edmonton Journal, Future Shop, as well as regional news-magazines. Current focus is online publications.
Social Media & Community Manag @ Empire Avenue Inc.
January 2010 - September 2011
Engagement, measurement, and entertainment. What more could you want? Hit me up if you want to check it out! Fleet Commander: Social Media Armada!
Web Business Analyst @ Alberta Motor Association
September 2008 - September 2011
Analyze and evaluate business unit online activity and performance, recommending strategies for continued growth.
• Design and launch, in collaboration with corporate communication team, the AMA Road Reports Twitter initiative, including social media training, communication plan, activity lexicon and schedule.
• Review business unit online activity and recommend plans to achieve business unit goals.
• Develop and deploy website analytics processes for marketing campaigns and member support initiatives.
• Conduct research and make recommendations on websi
Sr. Web Content Specialist @ Alberta Motor Association.
April 2006 - September 2008
Support the ongoing development and maintenance of the Member Services portion of the AMA website.
• Conduct technical research to support development of new business initiatives.
• Deploy a new website development process resulting in improved accountability and project management.
• Integrate AMA Road Reports enhancements with new page designs and features.
eBusiness Specialist @ United Way of the Alberta Capital Region
July 2003 - April 2006
Oversee online business activities including annual online pledging tool (fundraising), website(s) development and maintenance, and other online activities.
Communications Manager @ Bioware Corp.
2000 - 2003
Developed and implemented worldwide product publicity campaigns that garnered over 70 industry and mainstream media awards including a British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA – Great Britain’s ‘Oscar’).
Over three years, increased awareness to a level that the company became recognized and acclaimed as a leading software developer in it's specialized field.
Coordinated the company’s first (and subsequent) trade show event, which resulted in several industry awards and positive publicity.
Created and implemented a customer community culture
The University of British Columbia
? - Present
Grant Macewan College
? - Present
Northern Alberta Institute of Technology
? - Present